Misery goes on as injury hit Rob Roy made to suffer Kilbirnie landslide

It's been a tough week for Willie Sawyers and his Rob Roy team-mates.
It's been a tough week for Willie Sawyers and his Rob Roy team-mates.

A blitz of three goals in a 10 minute spell killed off Rob Roy’s hopes of ending their run of poor results at Kilbirnie on Saturday.

The injury-hit Kirkintilloch side competed well against their Ayrshire opponents until a disastrous spell before half-time from which they never recovered.

Rabs began brightly, Kevin Watt heading wide then David Barr just failing to connect with a Chris Duff corner kick.

Ladeside replied with defender Kyle Rafferty firing narrowly wide from an angle before Martin Grehan’s goalbound shot was blocked with Darren Miller flashing the rebound over the bar.

Rabs’ Gavin Mackie fired wide as both sides pushed forward on the break looking for the much needed opener.

However the visitors were rocked when Ladeside hit them with three goals in a matter of 10 minutes.

In the 33rd minute Caolan McAleer sent a low shot past keeper Jordan Brown to put his side in front,

Six minutes later Grehan raced onto a quickly taken free-kick before rifling a left foot drive high past Jordan Brown to double Kilbirnie’s advantage.

And two minutes before the interval the home side made it three when, from a pinpoint free-kick into the box, Adam Forde was given space to glance a header low into the corner of the net.

The final action of the half saw Kieran Hughes bring out a sprawling save from Duff’s 20 yard free-kick.

Mackie had an early chance for Rabs but after some good leading up work blasted the ball over the bar then at the other end Brown was forced into an edge of the box clearance as Grehan advanced.

The Rabs ’keeper was again in action minutes later when he did well to push McAleer’s deflected shot around his post.

Mackie came close to opening Rabs account with a free-kick from the edge of the box which went a foot wide.

But in the final 20 minutes Ladeside looked the more likely to add to their tally,

Miller skimmed the Rabs crossbar with a powerful free-kick before Brown blocked a close range Kieran Brannan effort with Graeme Barbour completing the clearance.

Brown then made smart saves to prevent Forde then Miller from adding to the scoreline.

But the Ayrshire side added a fourth in the final minute when McAleer unleashed a stunning 35-yard volley which flashed high past Brown and into the net.