No joy of six as Rabs put out to grass by Meadow

editorial image

IT was 90 minutes to forget for nine-men Rob Roy as they conceded six goals to title chasing Irvine Meadow.

Irvine Meadow X1.............. 6

Rob Roy....................... 1

West of Scotland Premier Division

The first real chance of the match fell to Rabs in the eighth minute after Diack was fouled 22 yards from goal, but Lindsay fired the free-kick past the post.

Three minutes later Rob Roy grabbed the lead which their early play deserved when Lindsay sent over a corner for Donnelly to rise in a crowded goalmouth and head the ball past home keeper Wardrope.

Rabs looked dangerous on the break with Connolly’s effort on target, but lacking power, then minutes later Gormley tested Wardrope with a low drive.

Meadow equalised in the 26th minute. Doyle lost the ball in midfield and it was switched to Fleming who ran through the middle before drilling the ball low into the corner of the net.

Meadow should have made it two in the 39th minute, but Gibson headed a McLennan corner over the bar. At the other end Gormley was fouled near the corner flag – McBride’s free-kick was headed wide by Smith.

The Ayrshire side took the lead a minute before half-time and again a midfield error caused the goal. McBride failing to control a Lindsay pass allowed Fleming space to surge forward before knocking the ball past Rabs’ trialist keeper.

A minute after the break Fleming capitalised on a Donnelly slip to send the ball into the net to complete his hat-trick. In a spell of attacking play from Rabs, Easton’s shot from a MacKay cross was deflected wide then Easton had a volley blocked by Ryan for a corner before MacKay blazed over the bar.

The visitors found themselves down to 10 men when Referee Graham mysteriously blew for a penalty against Rabs’ trialist keeper for a foul on Fleming when there seemed no contact and no appeals from the Irvine side.

Worse was to follow for the young keeper when a red card was flashed in front of him. Rabs’ replacement trialist took over and his first task was to collect the ball from the back of the net after Fleming sent him the wrong way from the spot.

Meadow were by now well in control and Miller made it number five in the 76th minute with a header at the back post. Rabs were then reduced to nine when Alan Lindsay picked up his second yellow card and was dismissed. Miller completed the scoring in the final minute with a simple tap-in.

* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have you say on the site...