No trouble at Mill for classy Campsie Black Watch

editorial image

AN outstanding team performance saw Black Watch win this difficult tie to go through to the quarter final of the Scottish Cup.

Mill Utd........................ 0

Campsie Black Watch............. 2

Although the players knew this would be tough they didn’t know they were going to face a Mill United side that did not spare themselves in their efforts to make it a 90 minutes Watch players would never forget.

The character shown by the Blackies players was extraordinary in a setting that made the game torrid in every sense of the word. Tackles were flying high and the discipline needed came through fantastically well from the Watch.

Watch opened strongly with clever play from Prentice on the left and his cross into the box saw McIlroy pull the trigger from close in, superbly saved by keeper Brown.

It was evident that United were intent on winning the game and they hit on the counter attack, but the Blackies defence coped well.

Another chance fell to Watch in the 15th minute with clever play down the right from Watt to McIlroy. His ball into McGeough saw the midfield player blast for goal – again keeper Brown saved brilliantly. The ball broke to McIlroy and a volley from the wing-back brought out another brilliant save from the keeper.

This was one tough tie. Despite having the upper hand Blackies could not make the breakthrough. The second half was immense with no quarter asked or given. Tackles were flying in, but Watch players survived many difficult times.

It was not so much United’s attacks because Storey and his back four of Watt, Darroch, Kennedy and Meechan kept them out – it was injuries they might have sustained with the wild tackles flying in.

There were many anxious moments and it looked as if it might finish in a draw.

However, Blackies made the breakthrough in the 83rd minute when a Jamie Darroch long ball down the left to Prentice saw clever play from the wing-back, who went past defender Aitken and played the ball into Woodlock.

The striker’s shot was partially saved by Brown only to break to Cairney who quickly netted from 15 yards.

This could have been enough to see Watch through, but United almost equalised – first from a strike, which Storey saved brilliantly, then from a Nelson header which crashed against the crossbar.

It was Blackies to win and deservedly so with a brilliant goal in the 92nd minute. Again it was from a long ball down the left from Darroch to McGeough. The midfielder moved the ball onto McIlroy and his cross across the goal found Prentice who netted.

This was a remarkable cup tie with the Watch players coming of age in a setting one can only describe as fiery.

Watch: M Storey, G Watt, J Darroch, R Kennedy, G Meechan, C McIlroy, P McGeough, W Whiteford, N Prentice, D Cairney, S Aitken, A Graham, G Hutton, A Culbard, P O’Connor, P Woodlock.

Watch play Harmony Row in the Golden Goal Cup at Station Road on Saturday with a 2pm kick off.

Tote numbers for Saturday were 32 and 45. There was no winner, £300 next week.