Rabs go top of the table as Pollok lose the plot

Rob Roy players after their win at Pollok (pic: Ross MacDonald).
Rob Roy players after their win at Pollok (pic: Ross MacDonald).

Rob Roy regained top spot in the Super League Premier Division table with a win over an indisciplined Pollok side who finished the game with nine men.

The narrow but well-earned victory saw Stewart Maxwell’s side leapfrog their Glasgow rivals to take over as leaders, two points clear and with four games in hand.

The visitors had the better of the early exchanges with Kevin Watt firing over the bar before Willie Sawers flashed a cross over the goalmouth before Jordan McGuire could react.

Rabs came close to opening the scoring in the 15th minute when David Barr rose to head a McGuire corner over the crossbar from six yards.

Pollok’s first real chance at goal came in the 22nd minute with ex-Rabs player Kevin Bradley shooting wide from distance.

Barr made a timely block to halt Bradley’s progress into the Rabs’ penalty box.

Pollok had an opportunity when Daniel Boyle conceded a foul at the edge of the penalty box but David Winters’ free-kick dipped over ’keeper Jordan Brown’s bar.

Playing attractive passing football and with Gary McMenamin controlling the centre of the park, Rabs regained the upper hand but were unable to create clear cut chances and the sides went in at the break even.

Rabs broke the deadlock six minutes after half-time when Paul Finnigan’s cross from the right wing found Watt at the back post with time to control the ball before cracking a low angular drive past home ’keeper Jordan Longmuir.

The Kirkintilloch side should have extended their lead three minutes later when Barr, in front of goal, drove a McGuire cut-back over the top.

Pollok began to push forward in search of the equaliser and Rabs had to thank Brown for retaining their lead when he made a terrific, one-handed sprawling save from Del Hepburn.

At the other end Longmuir did well to push a Chris Duff cross over his bar but then came the final 10 minutes of madness with Pollok losing the plot and four players.

On 81 minutes substitute John Sweeney walked for a second yellow card, his first being before he came on, and four minutes later Mark Sideserf followed him, again for a second yellow card.

Then in stoppage time Allan MacKenzie took exception to Duff’s tackle and was red carded for retaliation, followed by Chris Walker on the advice of the assistant referee, for his part in the melee.

In the final of the 90 minutes Pollok had a goal disallowed when Walker’s header was adjudged offside as Rabs ran down the clock for a merited victory and trooped off the park to a great ovation from their travelling support.