Rob Roy battle for win after being off Pace in first half

Kevin Watt was on target for Rob Roy at Dunipace
Kevin Watt was on target for Rob Roy at Dunipace

Rob Roy made it two Super League Cup wins out of two with a 4-1 success at Dunipace on Wednesday night.

But it required a much improved second half performance from Rob Roy to defeat a young Dunipace side who in the first period had the better of their Super Premier League opponents for long periods.

First chance fell to Rabs when Willie Sawyers pass found Lee Gallacher in a scoring position but his shot was blocked.

Pace should have gone in front in the 10th minute when from a Daniel Murphy cross Andrew Thomson failed to knock the ball home from point blank range.

The home side looked dangerous coming forward and Rabs’ trialist defender did well to halt Craig Waddell’s advance into the penalty box.

In a counter attack Kevin Watt brought out a fine parried save from keeper David McFarlane.

With Pace in control, Waddell headed a Thomson cross wide of the mark when in front of the visitors’ goal.

Minutes later Dominic McGrandles fired into the side netting from 18 yards then Rabs keeper Jordan Brown did well to push a low Waddell shot wide of his upright.

The Westfield Park side continued to carve out chances with McGrandles firing over the bar from inside the penalty box.

However they paid the price for squandering clearcut chances when, against the run of play, Rob Roy went ahead in the 29th minute.

Gallacher and Sawyers combined well to set up Rabs’ trialist to rifle a shot beyond McFarlane.

But Rabs’ joy was short lived when Dunipace were awarded a penalty kick a minute later after McGrindles went down in the box under a Garry McMenamin challenge.

The striker took the award himself and gave Brown no chance from the spot.

Rabs began the second half in a more determined manner and it took them only 10 minutes to regain the lead with Watt firing a low shot past McFarlane from 12 yards following a Gallacher knock on.

Eight minutes later Rabs were awarded a penalty after Sawyers was fouled in the box, but Shaun Fraser blasted the spot kick high and wide of the target.

With the young Dunipace side tiring under the rain lashed conditions Sawyers hit the woodwork before Rabs added to their tally when McMenamin fired a superb low free-kick past McFarlane from 25 yards.

With Pace penned back in the latter stages Rabs made it 4-1 with four minutes remaining when substitute Reece Pearson headed home a Gavin Mackie cross.

The win followed the Kirkintilloch side’s 4-1 win over Cumbernauld United in their opening fixture and sets up a potential section decider on Saturday against a Kilsyth Rangers side who have also won their first two games.