Rob Roy complete double over league leaders

Rob Roy completed the double over Pollok after a five-goal thriller
Rob Roy completed the double over Pollok after a five-goal thriller

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy completed the double over Super League leaders Pollok on Saturday with a 3-2 win at Guy’s Meadow which brought them right back into title contention.

Rabs were looking to end a run of four games without a win since their victory at Pollok in December.

But the early chances fell to Pollok with home ’keeper Jordan Brown holding a Carlo Monti free-kick and David Winters having a shot blocked.

Rabs suffered an injury when midfielder Gary McMenamin pulled up with a hamstring injury and was replaced by Jordan McGuire, but shrugged that off to take a 15th minute lead.

Lee Gallacher’s corner was met by David Barr who headed the ball into the path of Kevin Watt to turn before sending a volley into the ’Lok net.

Another setback for Rabs saw central defender Danny Boyle hobble off with Reece Pearson coming on.

But they coped well with any Pollok threats and Pearson headed a Watt cross over the bar before Chris Duff also sent his effort in the same direction.

Pollok missed a gilt edged opportunity to level when Chris Walker failed to connect with a Monti free-kick in front of goal.

But the Newlandsfield side were reduced to 10 men in the 42nd minute when Monti was red-carded after scything down Duff.

However Rabs failed to take advantage and the visitors snatched a 53rd minute equaliser when Tam Hanlon’s cross through a knot of defenders found Mark Sideserf who slotted home from close range.

Six minutes later Rabs were back in front when, from a Gallacher free-kick, Willie Sawyers showed fine composure by turning and sending a well-directed low shot into the corner of the net.

But it was all square again in 64 minutes when skipper Carter clumsily tripped Findlay Frye in the box and Winters sent Brown the wrong way with the spot kick.

Rabs went all out to restore their lead and Watt broke through but his low effort lacked power and failed to trouble keeper Longmuir.

Gallacher sent a 25 yard free-kick inches over and substitute Steven Aitken then brought out a fine save from Longmuir.

It looked like a share of the spoils until Rabs grabbed the winner in the 88th minute when Gallacher sent over a perfect corner kick for Barr to rise above the Pollok defence and head into the corner of the net.

Deep into stoppage time Brown made a super diving save to prevent Liam Rowan from equalising before the whistle then blew on a thoroughly entertaining encounter.