Rob Roy hit Kennoway for six in Scottish Junior Cup

Rob Roy were always in the driving seat after striking early against Kennoway Star Hearts
Rob Roy were always in the driving seat after striking early against Kennoway Star Hearts

Rob Roy made it through to the last of the Scottish Junior Cup with a 6-2 win over Kennoway Star Hearts at Guy’s Meadow, writes Neil Anderson.

Stewart Maxwell’s side took their Scottish Cup tally to 18 goals in four games as they saw off a plucky Fife team, but slack play at the end saw them conceding their first goals of the tournament.

It took the Rabs only a minute to take the lead when, from a Gavin Mackie corner, skipper Gary McMenamin rose to send a header high past visiting keeper Robbie Paterson.

Five minutes later Rob Roy keeper Steven McNeil did well to turn a James Collins corner over the bar and a minute later Collins again came close when his free-kick went narrowly past.

However Rob Roy doubled their lead in the 16th minute when Joe Slattery cleverly lobbed the ball into the empty net after Paterson’s punched clearance landed at his feet 20 yards out.

Good outfield play by Willie Sawyers released Kevin Watt but he sent his shot just wide.

With the match now being played in torrential rain Paterson did well to save Mackie’s low free-kick at the second attempt.

The young Kennoway side continued to try and claw their way back into the game and the impressive Matthew Gay went close on a couple of occasions, firstly firing a shot narrowly past and then secondly blasting high past McNeil’s right-hand post.

A Scott Young corner for the Budgies caused problems in the Roy defence before being scrambled clear but it was the home team who managed to extend their lead four minutes before the break.

When a Lee Gallacher shot was blocked the rebound fell to Shaun Fraser and he was able to send a looping header into the net.

Immediately after half-time Rabs pressed their opponents and, from a Watt cross, Slattery saw his shot well blocked.

Shortly after Watt managed to send his header wide from only four yards out as the home side continued to look for more goals.

Nevertheless Kennoway came back at the Rabs and McNeil did well to keep out attempts from Matthew Gay and Liam Craig as the Budgies looked to open their account.

However the home side were ruthless and in a seven-minute spell they added a further three goals to their tally.

In the 74th minute Andy Johnstone set up Stefan Law and his clever footwork took him past the visiting defence to slot home.

A minute later the Budgies could not cope with a mazy Gallacher run into the box and he curled the ball past Paterson from eight yards.

Then Gary Carroll was brought down in the box and he took the resulting penalty kick himself, making no mistake when slotting low to Paterson’s right.

To their credit Kennoway never gave up despite being six goals down and their endeavours were rewarded in the 83rd minute when Matthew Gay took advantage of a miskicked clearance to slam the ball past McNeil.

Two minutes later the same player completed his double when curling a free-kick high to McNeil’s left with the keeper rooted to the spot.

Kennoway produced a spirited performance and competed well despite the horrendous conditions.

Rob Roy spoiled their performance with slackness at the end but the pleasing thing was having six different goal scorers.

Sponsor John McKean presented the Supporters’ man of the Match trophy, kindly donated by Roddy the Dog Walker, at the end of the game to Michael Morris.