Rob Roy secure Premier status for next season!

Rob Roy v Irvine Meadow at Adamslie Park 7.5.11 Picture by Jamie Forbes
Rob Roy v Irvine Meadow at Adamslie Park 7.5.11 Picture by Jamie Forbes

DESPITE losing their management team, the players at Rob Roy rallied round to make sure of Super League Premier Division status for another year.

The Rabs’ 3-1 away victory over Beith on Friday saw Rob Roy played from start to finish with enthusiasm and energy – producing a scintillating display of attacking football for a comfortable victory.

In the Rabs’ first attack Zok headed over from a Carter free-kick then at the other end McNeil did well to save from Reid.

The visitors looked the more dangerous with McGregor’s header from an Upton corner just clearing the bar.

Rabs continued on the offensive, but the hard-pressed Beith defence were conceding little. Then on the half-hour mark and against the run of play the home side grabbed the lead when McLean was given space to run in from the right wing to steer the ball low into the corner of the net.

The Adamslie Park side roared back and within two minutes were on level terms when Thomas Sinclair crashed home a pass from the left. With the Kirky side taking the game to their opponents Beith keeper O’Neill did well to block a couple of Zok’s efforts.

It was the visitors who were first to threaten after the break with McQuilken’s 20-yard free-kick scrambled clear. Then in the 49th minute they took the lead when a clever pass from McQuilken released Sheridan on the left wing. The full-back sent over an inch-perfect cross for Sinclair to power a header of real quality past the helpless O’Neill from 10 yards.

Six minutes later the woodwork prevented Rabs from going further ahead when a Feroz header clattered the bar.

Beith attempted to get themselves back into the game, but both Bradley’s and Reid’s attempts at goal were feeble.

Then Sheridan made a timely intervention to halt Bradley’s run into the box.

As the game ran into its latter stages, Rabs continued to dictate play for long periods. Substitute Craig headed past, MacKay drove wide from an Upton corner then a Dunlop cross drifted wide of the goal.

With four minutes remaining Rabs scored a merited third when Sinclair’s volley cannoned off the inside of the upright and behind O’Neill for a well-deserved hat-trick.

In the remaining minutes Rabs comfortably ran down the clock, although keeper Steven McNeil was forced to make a brilliant diving save to prevent Beith’s Craig scoring in stoppage time.

Rob Roy: McNeil, Dunlop, Sheridan, Carter, McGregor, Sinclair, Upton, McQuilken (Gow 76), Feroz, Zok Craig (82), MacKay, Subs not used: McLay, Wilson.