Rob Roy sunk by Clydebank

editorial image

EVEN new signing Marvin Andrews can’t help Rabs to plug the leaks...

Clydebank.............. 3

Rob Roy................ 0

West of Scotland Premier Division

Apart from an opening 20-minute spell when Rabs were in the ascendancy, Clydebank dominated the match and ran out deserved winners.

It was Rob Roy who captured the early plaudits with free-flowing football – creating a number of promising chances.

Gormley had a diagonal shot pushed around the post by Clydebank keeper Hamilton then minutes later fired narrowly past the post.

In the 10th minute Fulton rattled the home side’s upright before MacKay headed a Gormley cross over the bar from a yard out.

However, the Bankies began to dictate play, hitting the visitors’ bar and only a good diving save from Robertson prevented MacKinnon from putting the hosts ahead.

They continued to attack with Smith and MacKinnon off target with powerful strikes and MacKinnon bringing out another wonderful save.

Six minutes before the interval Clydebank took the lead. McAleenan lost possession in the Bankies half and the ball was switched from McKinnon to trialist Adam Strachan, who ran through to squeeze the ball past the diving Robertson.

Clydebank continued to call the tune after the break with the Rabs defence hard pressed. Both MacKinnon and Berry had decent efforts blocked.

Rabs’ new signing ex-Rangers player Marvin Andrews did well to stop Ross McPherson with a timely tackle.

In the 66th minute Michael Fulton should have levelled for Rabs, but when through on goal he directed his shot too near the keeper – allowing Hamilton to push it wide.

A minute later a McAleenan cross hit the top of the crossbar.

Darian MacKinnon was causing carnage in the Rob Roy defence and was unlucky to see his volley just clear the bar. Stephen Robertson was by far the busiest keeper and did well to block Burns’ drive for a corner.

Bankies increased their lead in the 81st minute when MacKinnon set up Vinny Berry to smash the ball high into the corner of Robertson’s net.

Two minutes later Kieran Burns made it three with a cracking strike from the edge of the penalty box. Rabs were by now a well-beaten side and glad to hear the final whistle.

Rob Roy: Robertson, McLachlan, McBride, Andrews, McAleenan, Donnelly, MacKay, Fulton, Gormley, Finlayson (Mackie 62), Easton (Cairney 68). Unused Subs: Carter, Reddan, Lochhead.