Rob Roy through to first League Cup final in over 30 years

Celebrations after Chris Duff's opener
Celebrations after Chris Duff's opener

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy are through to their first Sectional League Cup final in over 30 years.

Stewart Maxwell’s side produced a fine display of attacking football, coupled with sheer effort and determination over the 90 minutes, to run out worthy 2-0 winners over Pollok in their semi-final clash at Guy’s Meadow on Wednesday.

It made it seven wins out of seven in competitive fixtures for Rabs this season and put them through to the final of the competition for the first time since 1983.

Rabs made their intentions clear from the onset with Gary McMenamin’s shot from range drifting just wide of the post in the third minute.

Rabs kept up the pressure and Gavin Mackie’s free-kick was punched clear by Lok keeper Jordan Longmuir who then did well to save Kevin Green’s follow up header.

Pollok’s first real chance at goal came in the 14th minute when Carlo Monti sent his header over the bar from a Davie Winters cross.

Willie Sawyers fires home Rob Roy's second goal

Willie Sawyers fires home Rob Roy's second goal

Rabs squandered two good chances to take the lead, The unmarked Craig Buchanan headed wide of the goal, then Mackie’s free-kick was pushed out by Longmuir and fell kindly to the onrushing Danny MacKenzie who scooped the ball over the bar from no more than a few yards out.

Rabs were dominating proceedings but were unable to translate their authority into goals.

That was until the 44th minute when neat play between Chris Duff and Willie Sawyers gave Duff the chance to send a tip-top finish soaring past Longmuir to give Rabs a half-time lead.

After the break the home side were back on the attack with Sawyers sending a looping header over the bar then sending a curling shot wide of the target.

In the 57th minute Rabs made it 2-0 when Sawyers, who had been causing problems to the Lok defence all evening, turned at the edge of the box before firing the ball against the inside of Longmuir’s upright then watched as it nestled in the back of the net.

Pollok’s made a number or forays towards the Rabs penalty box but with the home defence immense and the midfielders harrying and harassing, the Newlandsfield side never really looked like making a breakthrough.

Rabs came close to adding to their tally when the hard working Lee Gallacher’s 20 yard shot grazed the wrong side of the Lok upright before Duff fired the ball over the bar from distance.

Rabs skipper McMenamin was unlucky to see is 25 yard shot skid inches past the post then late in the match, home keeper Michael McKinven kept his goal intact by saving a low Gary McCann drive at the post.

In the end Rabs ran out comfortable winners and will meet Shettleston in the final.

Rob Roy: McKinven, MacKenzie, Walker, Green, Buchanan, Whelan (Fraser 53), Gallacher (Pearson 75), McMenamin, Sawyers, Duff (McGuire 78), Mackie. Unused Subs;- Barr, Watt.