Rossvale round off group with win over cup holders

22-08-2015 Picture Jamie Forbes. Rossvale vs Cumbernauld United at Petershill Park, Springburn.
22-08-2015 Picture Jamie Forbes. Rossvale vs Cumbernauld United at Petershill Park, Springburn.

Rossvale made sure they finished second in their Sectional League Cup behind Rob Roy with a 3-1 over Cumbernauld United on Saturday.

Rossvale started off where they had left off following on from their 7-0 demolition of Dunipace in midweek by being on the offensive from the first whistle.

Within the first two minutes Rossvale created their first opportunity as a pinpoint diagonal ball from Michael Hardie found Ryan Coll on the left wing, who skipped past the Cumbernauld full-back to fire in a dangerous low cross which found no takers.

At the other end an uncharacteristic miscue by Chris McQuade fell kindly to one of the Cumbernauld midfielders just outside the area but the resulting cross come shot proved no match for Chris Calder in the Rossvale goal.

Rossvale began to build up some momentum and in 21 minutes a McQuade free-kick found the head of Alex Cassells but his header went over the Cumbernauld bar.

Hardie was booked for an accidental high challenge before Rossvale’s pressure finally paid off with the 27th minute breakthrough courtesy of a display of clinical finishing by Coll.

Hardie’s long ball from defence found Jason McKay and he expertly chested the ball into the path of Coll whose curling right foot shot soared high into his net.

Super League side Cumbernauld tried to hit back but were limited to crosses, long range efforts and a free-kick on the edge of the Rossvale D which came to no avail.

After the break Cumbernauld started the better of the teams with Calder called into action in the 52nd minute diving low to his right to make a save from one of the Cumbernauld attackers.

It took Rossvale 14 minutes of the second half to double their lead. Jason McKay showed the type of composure normally associated with players of a senior age with his calm finish from inside the left hand side Cumbernauld penalty area that left the Cumbernauld keeper no chance of saving.

Two minutes later Rossvale trebled their lead when Fraser Team was brought down by a clumsy challenge from behind and Joe Bradley converted from the penalty spot.

The match began to peter out at this stage with both teams limited to half chances until the final minute of stoppage time when Cumbernauld managed to reduce the deficit.

The ball came in to David Dickson in a central area just outside the Rossvale box and his quickly taken low driven shot went beyond the despairingly reach of Chris Calder just inside his right hand post.