Six-goal thriller as Rabs enjoy a beef with Beith

Rob Roy v Beith at Adamslie Park 8.10.11 Picture by Jamie Forbes
Rob Roy v Beith at Adamslie Park 8.10.11 Picture by Jamie Forbes

ROB Roy had to come back from being two goals down to claim a share of the spoils in what was an exciting encounter between two evenly-balanced sides.

Rob Roy............. 3

Beith............... 3

West of Scotland Premier League

The breakthrough came for Rabs in the eighth minute when a series of inter-changed passes allowed Chris Mackie to drill a shot past keeper O’Neil (below).

Donnelly came close with a free-kick from the edge of the box after Cairney was pulled down then Lochhead’s low cross was taken by O’Neil.

Beith equalised in the 17th minute when John McLean headed a Callaghan cross past Robertson with the home defence mere spectators. Reid should have put the visitors in front, but – with only Robertson to beat – he fired wide. The home keeper was in action minutes later, diving low to stop Hardie’s diagonal volley.

Gormley was always looking dangerous up front for Rabs. In the 39th minute he released Mackie down the right wing only for his cross to be cut out by O’Neil with the striker ready to pounce.

As the interval approached, the visitors took a fortuitous lead when a McLean header appeared to be drifting wide of the post, but deflected off Rabs defender Donnelly into his own net.

Beith were awarded a penalty seven minutes into the second half when Carter was adjudged to have tripped Reid in the box. McLean took the spot-kick – sending Robertson the wrong way to put the Ayrshire side 3-1 ahead.

Rabs substitute Brian MacKay was beginning to stamp his influence on the game and within minutes of being sent on, he pulled a goal back.

After a McAleenan shot was blocked, MacKay collected the loose ball and gave O’Neil no chance from a few yards out.

On the hour mark Rabs were back on level terms with the best goal of the match. David Gormley with his back to goal managed to hook the ball past O’Neil to make it 3-3.

The end-to-end action continued with Lindsay attempting a shot from distance which failed to trouble the Beith keeper. Home shot-stopper Robertson blocked a Reid strike then tipped a Hardie shot over the bar. In the final minute O’Neil saved from Gormley. Then in stoppage time, Robertson – who had a fine game – did well to block a McLean effort.

Rob Roy: Robertson, McLachlan, Cairney, Carter, McAleenan, Donnelly, Lochhead (MacKay 56), Fulton, Gormley, Mackie (J Lindsay 56), Easton. Sub not used: Reddan.