Six of the best for resurgent Rossvale

Rossvale's win at Dunipace kept them top of the table
Rossvale's win at Dunipace kept them top of the table

Rossvale finally managed to break down their opponents Dunipace and ran our convincing winners to maintain their two point lead at the top of the division and they’re quickly becoming the team to catch.

The hosts had been humbled by ‘Vale in the league cup and drew first blood when they took the lead through a 21st minute Gary Kelly penalty conceded by Ryan Kane for a needless clumsy challenge into the back of Dunipace’s Lamont. Kelly made no mistake in sending the Rossvale keeper Bowskill the wrong way.

Dunipace were galvanised by this and began to dictate the play and they doubled their lead when Gordon Herd managed to get onto a goal kick and he raced in on goal avoiding one challenge before slipping the ball between the legs of the Rossvale keeper.

Rossvale seemed to be stung into action by this and two minutes before the break dragged themselves back into the contest through Jason McKay. A mazy run by Chris McQuade from the right had him play the ball to Jason on the edge of the Dunipace penalty area. His initial effort was saved by McAlister but Alex Cassells was the first to react to the loose ball and cut back for McAllister to despatch.

From the restart there was a sense that Rossvale had the bit between their teeth and the only surprising aspect of this was that it took 13 minutes for them to get on level terms through McKay.

Rossvale gained the upper hand through the fast reaction of Alex Cassells with the clock nudging the 63 minute mark. Ryan Kane’s cross found Michael Hardie lurking at the back post. Cassells made no mistake, slotting the ball between the legs of McAlister to give Rossvale a well deserved lead.

It took another 18 minutes before Rossvale extended their lead despite having the superiority. Substitute Corey Irvine was on the mark for Rossvale following a move that involved half of the Rossvale team. Hardie started it off and involved McQuade, Donaldson, Gamba, McKay and Cassells who finally laid it on a plate for Irvine just on the edge of the area.

The Vale went nap in the 85th minute when Jason McKay got his hat-trick. A ball to the Rossvale left just in line with the Dunipace penalty area had McAlister race from his goal but he was beaten to the ball by Cassells. With the keeper stranded Cassells cut the ball back from just inside the by-line to McKay.

The final score of the game came courtesy of Irvine from the edge of the Dunipace ‘D’. Second half replacement Coll from the centre circle placed the ball out to the left hand side to Cassells who cut inside one of the Dunipace defenders and played the ball deep within the Dunipace penalty area to McKay. McKay’s cut back to Irvine was met sweetly which left McAlister with no chance of saving.