Stinging blow for Rob Roy as cup dreams are shattered

Rob Roy v Hill O'Beath at Adamslie 5.3.11 Picture by Jamie Forbes
Rob Roy v Hill O'Beath at Adamslie 5.3.11 Picture by Jamie Forbes

UNFANCIED Dalry Thistle stung Rob Roy at the weekend as they put their Scottish Junior Cup hopes to the sword.

Dalry Thistle................ 3

Rob Rob...................... 1

Emirates Scottish Junior Cup 6th Round

ROB Roy crashed out of this season’s Scottish Junior Cup to a more determined Dalry Thistle side in what at times was a tense encounter.

In the opening period both sides struggled for fluency with the first earnest attempt at goal not coming until the 10th minute when a

Menzie’s drive from 35 yards was pushed wide by Rabs keeper McNeil. At the other end Feroz tested Dalry keeper Stewart with a fierce header from a Carter free-kick.

Rabs were having the better of the first half with a Sinclair shot blocked following an Upton corner then McQuilken sent a 25-yard volley over the bar. In the 33rd minute MacKay’s strike from the edge of the penalty box was brilliantly pushed over the bar by Stewart.

In a quick break up-field Dalry striker Sanderson shot wide from distance. Dalry shot-stopper Stewart was the busiest of the two keepers pushing over a Feroz shot and stopping an Upton effort on the goaline.

After the break the home side were first to threaten with Canning heading a Bell cross over the bar. Five minutes later Rabs had a goal disallowed when Upton was judged offside after Stewart parried a Feroz shot into his path.

Rabs should have gone in front in the 71st minute when Sinclair, despite being completely unmarked, managed to head over from a few yards out. The home side were now having the bulk of play and made the breakthrough 17 minutes before the end when the Rabs defence failed to clear a free-kick. It fell to substitute Hay who slid the ball into the net from close range.

Worse was to follow for the visitors four minutes later when Thistle were awarded a penalty after McGregor brought down Cussack in the box. Canning stepped up to convert the spot-kick to double his side’s lead.

Rabs pulled a goal back in the 83rd minute when Feroz headed home a Gow corner. In the final minutes Rabs went all out for the equaliser with keeper McNeil joining the forwards for a corner kick. In the final minute Dalry’s substitute Seymour picked up a second yellow card and was sent off.

In stoppage time and with the visitors going all out for the leveller, leaving gaps at the back, Gilhooley ran through to send the ball past McNeil for number three – sending Thistle into the semi-finals of the national trophy for the first time.

Rob Roy;- McNeil, Dunlop, Sheridan, Carter, McGregor, Sinclair, McCue (Gow 78), McQuilken, Feroz, Upton (Zok 74), MacKay, Gow, Zok, Subs not used;-McMenamin, McLay, Wilson.