Two wins and a draw for happy Harestanes

editorial image

KIRKINTILLOCH side Harestanes FC enjoyed a busy and successful week...

Colville Park............... 2

Harestanes.................. 2

LAST Monday night Harestanes travelled to Motherwell to take on Scottish Cup hopefuls Colville Park in the league. Both sides served up a tremendous game with both eager for victory.

Colville are probably still smarting for the Hares destroying their unbeaten league run of last season. Harestanes just wanted the points. Over the 90 minutes they were the better side and were unlucky not to secure victory. Two unfortunate events somewhat robbed them. Colville could point to the fact they had a ball over the line, but the referee waved them away.

Cawley could have opened the scoring in the fourth minute when J. Marshall played a lovely cross right to his feet. You could argue he should have burst the net or the keeper pulled out a great save. At the other end it took a timely clearing header by P. Marshall to deny Colville. Gallagher then rattled one off the bar for Harestanes.

Harestanes took a deserved lead in the 25th minute when Gallagher sent a bullet header into the roof of the net.

The second half developed into a tough contest with neither side prepared to give way as the tackles flew in.

Harestanes extended their lead after a telling cross by J. Marshall. McClune challenged the defender and managed to slip the ball to Cawley for the tap-in.

A mix-up in defence saw Campbell score an own goal, allowing Colville the chance to get back into the game. They equalised through an obvious offside goal but were also denied by the same ref when the ball was clearly in.

Harestanes.................. 3

Wishaw...................... 1

HARESTANES started slowly on Wednesday. The visitors sent one shot just wide and had a free header which was straight at the keeper.

By the 16th minute Harestanes began to take control. J. Marshall sent the ball through to McClune who struck it into the top left. Harestanes’ lead was rather short-lived as Wishaw equalised with a decent shot. At the start of the second half Wishaw should have taken the lead from a back-post header, but sent the ball wide.

Young put Harestanes ahead with a free-kick which took a touch off the wall, went up and over the keeper and in off the bar. Gallagher extended the lead with his second bullet header of the week from a Cawley corner.

Harestanes................. 4

Mearns..................... 0

HARES completed the week with a fairly comprehensive victory in the League Cup on Saturday. New signing Paul Cassidy opened his account with a shot from just outside the box which took a touch off Milne as it soared into the net. Young increased the lead with a cut into the box from the right and a left-footer into the far corner.

Milne came close to a third with a lob which the keeper just got fingers to. Young collected his second courtesy of a long ball from Cassidy. This put him in on the keeper and he calmly slipped by him. In the second half Young sent the ball across for McCambley to net with ease.

Harestanes Tote – one winner received £100.

* Have you got a comment? E-mail

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have you say on the site. Please note comments may be reprinted in the newspaper.