Waterside move four points clear at the top

Kirkintilloch team overcome poor conditions to land all three points against Mearns

Waterside .....................2

Waterside v Mearns

Waterside v Mearns

Mearns ........................0

League Division 1B

Waterside extended their lead at the top of Division 1B to four points with a hard fought victory over Mearns. With Waterside Park off, Waterside played this match at Merkland grass which was in a poor state and not conducive to passing football.

Waterside pushed forward from the kick off and forced a free kick in the fifth minute.

Stirling aimed the free kick into the penalty box and after a scramble the ball was cleared to Mackie, but his shot from the edge was well off target. Fitzsimmons hit a 25 yard free kick, on 12 minutes, which was held by the keeper. Mackie’s turning shot on 19 minutes was just wide.

Mearns came more into the game forcing a save from Wilson who touched the ball round the post.

Stewart had a shot on 31 minutes which was off target. Fitzsimmons scored his 50th goal of the season, scoring from 12 yards after some great build up play from Mackie and Bennett.

Waterside were awarded a penalty on 40 minutes, for hand ball. The keeper saved well from Fitzsimmons to deny him his 51st goal. The ball was not cleared and after some frenetic goalmouth action the ball was eventually cleared at the front post with Fitzsimmons hovering.

On the stroke of half-time, Fitzsimmons squared a pass to Bennett, his shot was off target.

Mearns started the second half with more purpose, forcing a Wilson save on 47 minutes. Mearns’ striker should have scored, on the hour, but his shot from 12 yards was off target. Mackie came close, at the other end, but his header from a Clark cross was just over.

Harty pulled off a goal saving tackle in the penalty box to deny Mearns an equaliser on 67 minutes.

Seferi’s shot on 73 minutes went the wrong side of the post and his shot on 79 minutes was also off target. Gannon was replaced by Campbell with 15 minutes remaining.

Fitzsimmons scored his second of the match and his 51st goal of the season, bundling the ball into the net from a Mackie flick. Waterside saw out the remainder of the match.

Waterside will play Cambusnethan Talbot at home in the 1st Round of the M&M Trophy, 1.30pm kick-off.

Team: Wilson, G. Stirling, Gannon, Hamilton, Seferi, Harty, Bennett, Fitzsimmons, Mackie, Stewart, Clark.

Subs: Byrne, Yuill, Campbell.