Harestanes avoid play-off

editorial image

Harestanes 2

Colville Park 1

Harestanes’ fight to avoid a play-off, with the possibility of relegation, came to fruition with a hard-fought victory against Colville.

Two games on the trot against the league champions – who had never lost a league game previously – was always going to be a tall order.

Given that they had already secured the league and their disappointment in the Scottish Cup final on the Saturday, you could have expected a less than 100 per cent effort.

Not so. Colville came looking for victory and made a real game of it.

The game started off fairly evenly with Colville probably having the greater of the pressure.

Neither keeper was really tested, however.

In the 17th minute A. Wilson set McDonald up with a decent chance, but he skied well over.

Two minutes later Colville came close with a header which Wilson managed to clear, the ball was again fired in but wide.

As the half progressed Harestanes began to exert some dominance.

They held possession without creating chances.

In the 39th minute Tulloch cut in from the left and unleashed a good attempt but the keeper saved.

At the other end Colville set up a raid, but Wilson was quickly out to clear the obvious danger. At the end of the half the game was up for grabs by either side.

Nine minutes into the second half the abyss was staring back at Harestanes as Colville took the lead. Wilson saved the first shot, but the loose ball was scrambled in.

Harestanes came close to an equaliser with a McRae header which the keeper just managed to put out off the bar.

Marshall then had a chance when through on the keeper, but the shot was blocked. Both he and McDonald attempted to get on the loose ball, but could not quite make it.

Colville almost stretched their lead with a free header from a corner, but Wilson did well to push over.

He then did well to block when the player was clean through on him.

Eleven minutes from time and captain Marshall began the rescue.

The ball broke out to him on the ‘D’ and he unleashed a screaming volley into the top right.

McDonald almost completed the night with a header which the keeper just managed to tip over off the bar.

Marshall then had a header come cracking off the bar.

Harestanes finally made it almost at the death. A goalmouth scramble saw Kevin Welsh step up to batter the ball in. Harestanes’ relief was palpable.

* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail kirkyherald@jnscotland.co.uk

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter