Last gasp goals prove costly for Rob Roy

editorial image

Kirkintilloch side out of the Scottish Cup after failing to convert dominance into goals.

Rob Roy 2

Bo’ness United 3

Emirates Scottish Junior Cup 5th Round

Two stoppage time goals sent Rob Roy crashing out of the Emirates Scottish Cup as they paid the penalty for missing a multitude of goal-scoring opportunities.

First chance of the match fell to Bo’ness in the eighth minute when Nimmo sent Walker through on goal only for a fine Robertson save to prevent the visitors taking an early lead. Three minutes later Rabs went in front when, from a McAleenan free-kick, Diack rose at the near post to nod the ball past Allan.

Donaldson had a chance for Bo’ness, but his shot lacked power then Walker headed wide as Bo’ness began to bring themselves into contention. However, the better chances were being created by Rabs. Diack sent Hunter free down the left wing, but he shot wide of the target with only keeper Allan to beat.

Five minutes before the break Diack headed a Henderson cross past the post from close range then a minute later slid his shot past the open goal.

A minute after the break Rabs doubled their lead when, from a Hunter low cross, Meechan cleverly turned his marker to slot his shot into the net.

Bo’ness scored in the 68th minute when Donalson headed Snowdon’s long free-kick into the net at the far post. The Rabs defence were now looking nervous and Hislop was unlucky to see his header clear the bar only inches high.

With 15 minutes remaining Diack should have added Rabs’ third and booked a passage into the sixth round when he rounded keeper Allan, but he hammered his shot past the gaping net when a simple roll-in would have sufficed.

As the match entered stoppage time Hislop set McAvoy free in the penalty box to send the ball low into the corner of the net to level the scoring. Fully two minutes into stoppage time Bo’ness took the lead due to a goalkeeping blunder when a poor Robertson clearance fell straight to McAvoy to net the winner.

As the visitors and away supporters celebrated at the end of the game it was a stunned Rabs side who trooped off Adamslie Park at the end.

* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have your say on the site...