Lenzie happy to get back into action

AFTER weeks off due to the snow, Lenzie RFC took to the field...



After five weeks inactivity due to the severe weather both sides were hoping that they would be able to quickly shake off any rustiness in their play.

Lenzie started the brighter and were ahead after less than ten minutes. A turnover won by Matier was followed by a half break by Kennedy and backed up by McWilliams who outpaced the home cover to score under the posts, Scouller converted.

The rest of the half was then dominated by Wigtownshire, through their big forwards excellent driving and mauling play, and the home side being much more aggressive in the contact areas frequently turning over Lenzie possession.

Wigtownshire's reward was a try scored by hooker Haigh, after a short penalty taken through the forwards, converted by Parker. A penalty by Parker gave the home side a 10 – 7 lead at half time.

Lenzie were rewarded for their efforts when Wigtownshire were offside under their posts and Scouller kicked the penalty to level the scores.

With time running out Lenzie scored a try with the best move of the game. Great lead up through the forwards with Queenan, McManus, and Letford prominent, released the backs and precision passing through Fraser and Kennedy released McBride and who made the most of his opportunity outflanking the home cover before stepping inside the full back to score a try.

Lenzie fielded the kick off but decided to try to drive out of their 22 area through the forwards but were penalised for sealing off the ball illegally and this set up a position for Wigtownshire for one last wave of attacks.

The defensive effort by the Lenzie team in the final minutes was tremendous and epitomised by Condie joining the forwards to hold up the ball over the goal line.

Not the best performance by Lenzie but hard work and determination won the game against a very powerful and capable Wigtownshire team.

This week, weather permitting, Lenzie are at home against Millbrae, kick off 2pm.