Lots of drama in Cinema Cup clash

Football update
Football update

Wellhouse 0 Harestanes 0

(Harestanes won 3-1 on penalties after extra time)

Harestanes took themselves into the quarter finals of the Cinema Cup after a marathon struggle against Wellhouse.

Both sides produced an excellent cup tie with no quarter given by either.

Crunching tackles rained in as both teams fought for a dominance that neither really achieved.

Harestanes had more of the chances from open play while Wellhouse dominated the set pieces.

Harestanes probably shaded the play on the day but, for the 120 minutes, it could have gone either way.

Right from the start Harestanes were creating half chances they could have made more of.

Both McLaughlin and Broadfoot were clear into the box but took the extra touches that allowed defenders to shut them down.

Wellhouse came closest for an early opener. A corner was swung in, headed goal-ward but Durick was on the line to clear. The shot that followed was just the wrong side of the post.

Wellhouse were again denied an opener when Evans managed to get a block in. At the other end Broadfoot shot just over.

At the start of the second half Fitzsimmons broke forward, laid off for Young, but his shot dipped the wrong side of the bar.

Fitzsimmons himself was then through on the keeper. His low shot looked to be going in but shaved the wrong side of the post.

Wellhouse should have scored when they faced an open goal, but the shot was wide. McLaughlin was then denied when the Wellhouse keeper pulled off a great save.

The keeper made another to rise an push a Fitzsimmons free over the bar. O’Boyle then made a point-blank block to keep things even.

Extra time was more or less a repeat of the 90 with both sides having their periods of play.

Wellhouse started the penalty shootout with s shot wide right. McLaughlin took the first for Harestanes with a low drive into the bottom left.

Wellhouse’s second was again wide. Broadfoot scored the second for Harestanes with a clip into the right.

Wellhouse scored with their third into the bottom left. Fitzsimmons put the third into the bottom left. Wellhouse were again wide with their fourth leaving Harestanes the victors.