Mud, sweat and tears as Lenzie are pipped by two points

editorial image

NARROW defeat as Lenzie RFC host Annan at Viewfield.

Lenzie RFC............... 10

Annan.................... 12

Lenzie RFC played host to Annan on Saturday, with the visitors enjoying a great season so far – winning all their league games to date.

The away team started brightly and their backs looked to be in the mood to test the home side. Only a well-organised defence kept Annan at bay.

Lenzie were struggling to match their visitors’ early endeavours and, from a mistake in the Lenzie back division, a penalty was conceded. McCann successfully put Annan ahead after 17 minutes play.

A break and strong run from Nisbett after taking Morrison’s pass was halted by a great covering tackle by the visitors’ full back, but with Annan preventing Lenzie possession illegally a penalty was awarded.

The home eight was starting to overpower Annan at the scrimmage and from a well-controlled heel Queenan scored the try which edged Lenzie into the lead. Morrison’s conversion hit a post and bounced clear.

Lenzie started to show a greater hunger for the game and looked to add to their tally. It was only determined tackling that kept the home side at bay.

Two penalty opportunities were attempted by Lenzie, but both missed the target. After 30 minutes play Byres caught the referee’s ire and was sin-binned. Annan took advantage and McCann was successful with a second well-struck penalty to retake the lead.

Half-time arrived with Lenzie in the ascendancy, but trailing by 6-5.

Annan, playing with the breeze in their favour, started the second half well and good kicking by McCann kept Lenzie pinned back in their own half. The visitors, although rarely threatening the Lenzie line, were rewarded for their efforts with a third penalty goal.

A break-out by Nisbett again sparked Lenzie into life. With Matier, Letford and Corsky giving the Annan front row all sorts of problems, Hardie put Knight into space and the wing crashed over for Lenzie’s second try – regaining the lead. Morrison’s conversion fell agonisingly short.

Annan’s only answer was to kick the ball clear and put pressure on the Lenzie back three, and with 10 minutes play remaining a magnificently-struck McCann penalty from 50 metres regained the lead for Annan.

Lenzie’s response was immediate and great pressure almost resulted in the score which Lenzie’s play deserved with McManus, Johnston and McNeish all going close.

Annan cleared and almost scored a late try as Lenzie tried to run from their own half.

A great effort by Lenzie and they will be disappointed at not being able to capitalise on the opportunities their play deserved. They also came up against a goal kicker in excellent form.

This Saturday Lenzie make the short trip with a visit to Cumbernauld.

* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have you say on the site...