Rob Roy are spot on

Football update
Football update

Rob Roy 1

Largs Thistle 0

West of Scotland Super League 1st Division.

With Guys Meadow unplayable, Rob Roy’s brave decision to forfeit home ground advantage and switch the fixture to Barrfields Stadium in Largs paid off with a win in a match played in atrocious weather conditions.

Playing with the strong elements at their back Rabs went straight on the attack with Stephen McDonald heading a Davison cross over the bar before Finnigan’s 30-yard drive was smartly taken by Stephen Connick.

Rabs continued to pressurise the Largs defence, pinning them inside their own half for long periods.

From an Upton corner kick Martin Brogan’s close range shot was deflected past the post by the Thistle keeper.

Steven Aitken was next to try his luck but his shot was direct at Connick and failed to trouble the veteran keeper.

Rob Roy were awarded a penalty in the 27th minute when Aitken was body-checked by the out-rushing Connick in the box, giving referee Burns an easy decision to make. Scott Upton sent the spot-kick out of the reach of the diving Connick to put his side in front.

Largs won a corner on the half-hour mark, but Struthers’ kick flashed across the Rabs goalmouth before being cleared.

A minute later a good passing move between Upton and Davison picked out Ally Martin, free on the left. His shot looked net-bound but it was brilliantly blocked for a corner by Connick.

Before the interval Upton, Davison and Duff all came close to adding to Rabs tally, but failure to make their dominance count meant that they were forced to face the second -half conditions defending a slender lead.

With Paul Finnigan remaining in the dressing room due to a knee injury, Rabs were forced into a half-time reshuffle with Upton taking over at full-back and substitute McMenamin taking over in midfield.

Frizell and Lindsay had early chances for the Barrsfield side, but both efforts went well wide of the mark.

Rabs response was an overhead-kick from McMenamin taken easily by Connick.

Rabs were defending comfortably although Thistle did come close in the 73rd minute when, from a Little free-kick, Lindsay blasted the ball well over Brown’s bar.

With seven minutes remaining substitute McDonald had a great chance to put the game out of Largs reach when in a good scoring position he collected a Davison cut-back but sent his shot over the bar.

In the final minutes Largs pushed players forward in an attempt to salvage something from the game but were kept at bay by some determined Rabs defending. They did, however, come close to equalising in the 4th minute of stoppage time when Pierce connected with a Keough free-kick, but headed over the bar.

Rob Roy; Brown, Finnigan (McMenamin 45), MacKenzie, Carter, Brogan, Jarvis, Davison, Upton, Aitken (McDonald 76), Duff (Tiffney 86), Martin. Unused Subs ;- Hunter, Murdoch.