Rob Roy banish festive hangover with fantastic four-goal performance


IT was a winning start to 2013 for Kirkintilloch Rob Roy...

Glenafton Athletic................. 0

Rob Roy............................ 4

West of Scotland Premier Division

Following last week’s home defeat Rabs bounced back in style – producing a solid display to return from Ayrshire with a comfortable victory.

The early exchanges went in Glenafton’s favour with Cochrane firing wide in the fourth minute, then a McKillan free-kick into a crowded Rabs penalty box was headed clear by Smith.

It was Rabs who surged ahead in the 12th minute when Bradley embarked on a powerful run down the left flank before dispatching an inch-perfect threaded pass into the path of Hunter, who sent a one-touch volley past home keeper Semple.

Glenafton came back at Rabs, with McKenzie forcing keeper Robertson into a low diving save before Dempster fired across the face of the goal.

In the 18th minute Hunter crashed the ball against the Glens upright with Semple beaten.

As the half wore on Rabs looked the more likely to score, with keeper Semple making a good block from Diack after the Rabs striker broke free on the right.

Bradley then made a strong run at goal, but his effort was stopped by Mitchell.

Glenafton continued to send high balls into the Rabs penalty box, where they were mopped up by skipper Smith who was immense in the heart of the visitors’ defence.

Glens began the second half strongly with McKenzie having a couple of decent efforts blocked by the Rabs defence.

In the 49th minute Rabs doubled their lead when McLachlan crossed for half-time substitute Easton to slot the ball past Semple.

Four minutes later the Adamslie Park side increased their lead to three when, from a defensive error, the ball was played through to McAleenan who took a couple of touches before burying the ball into the back of the net.

In the 70th minute Robertson made a marvellous save – finger-tipping a Murphy shot over the bar. With Rabs now in comfortable control Hunter shot just wide and Semple made a fine low save from Meechan.

In the 74th minute Rob Roy rounded off the scoring when, from a Diack nod down, Hunter netted with ease.

Glenafton’s misery was compounded 12 minutes before the final whistle when Dempster, who was cautioned for a foul, took his protests too far and was promptly shown a red card by referee Walsh.

* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have your say on the site...