Rob Roy forced to settle for a draw after squandering two-goal lead

editorial image

Kirkintilloch team fail to translate dominance into a victory.

Arthurlie . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3

Rob Roy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3

West of Scotland Super Premier Division

ROB Roy were coasting with a two goal lead after 18 minutes only to be pegged back by three rapid strikes to go into the half-time break a goal down before Hunter’s 54th minute leveller secured a share of the points for the Adamslie Park side.

But the Rabs must look on the final result as two points lost rather than one gained.

Playing silky football, Rabs surged into a 6th minute lead when C. Connolly’s free kick fell to Bradley who quickly passed to Hunter to slot past home keeper Macklin.

Arthurlie suffered an injury blow in the 12th minute when Muir was stretchered off with a knee injury to be replaced by Merrylees.

Rabs doubled their lead in the 18th minute when Meechan ran through the ‘Lie defence before firing into the net.

The visitors were stunned when Arthurlie hit back with three goals in a four minute spell.

In the 28th minute Smith failed to deal with a ball on the bye line Stewart’s cross was made for Marks to head the ball into the net before Merryman equalised a minute later with Robertson looking suspect.

Arthurlie were now looking dangerous and took the lead in the 32nd minute when skipper Smith was penalised for a soft looking foul twenty yards out.

Blaikey sent the award into the net with Robertson only able to help the ball into the net.

Minutes later the speedy Stewart flashed a shot over the Rabs’ bar.

Before the half-time break Rabs came back into the game with Diack heading wide before Macklin made a smart save from Meechan then in the 45th minute Hunter just failed to connect with an Easton cross in front of goal.

First chance of the second half fell to Rabs when a clever Diack flick on fell to Hunter but his strike was saved by Macklin.

Rob Roy continued to press and they levelled matters in the 54th minute when neat passing football in front of the home goalmouth saw Diack’s strike blocked by the foot of Macklin it fell to Hunter who rifled the ball into the net.

Stewart should have given the home side the lead in the 67th minute when through on goal but took the ball wide of the target and fired past the post.

Both sides were creating chances as play flowed from end to end in a pulsating contest.

Marks tested Robertson with a powerful header, Smith headed wide and Diack’s shot was taken by Macklin.

With two minutes remaining Robertson saved the day for Rabs by brilliantly making a fingertip save from McKeown.

* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have your say on the site...