Rob Roy roar to victory after glorious second half fightback


Rob Roy 4 Shotts Bon Accord 2

West of Scotland Premier League

ROB Roy produced a remarkable four-goal second-half comeback after going in at half-time two goals down to Shotts Bon Accord.

It was the visitors who showed early promise, with Wharton sending a 20-yard free-kick wide with four minutes on the clock. They continued to press, but their finishing was disappointing.

Rabs began to take the upper hand with Meechan then Chic Connolly off target with decent efforts.

Bon Accord should have taken the lead after 20 minutes when Coakley’s shot was blocked by Robertson the loose ball fell to McKenzie, but – with the goal gaping – he lashed the ball over the bar.

At the other end Shotts keeper Murdoch did well to push out a Bradley shot then minutes later Diack lobbed the keeper, but his effort drifted wide. Then the striker, from a Connolly pass, failed to make proper contact with the ball in front of goal and another opportunity was squandered.

Shotts went ahead on the half-hour mark when a McKenzie shot cannoned off the upright into the path of Williamson, who slotted the ball into the net.

C. Connolly had a chance to pull Rabs level, but sent his powerful drive over the bar. Then, on the stroke of half-time, the visitors doubled their lead when Scott accepted a cross ball from the left and sent a well- placed shot low into the corner of the net.

Rabs grabbed a lifeline three minutes into the second half when Bradley bundled the ball into the net amid Shotts claims that a hand had been used. McAleenan, then K. Connolly, came close as Rabs searched for the equaliser. The home side levelled in the 69th minute when, from a Diack assist, Bradley showed tricky footwork before prodding the ball past Murdoch.

The Adamslie Park side went all out for the lead and their pressure paid off in the 78th minute when Kenny Connolly launched a long free-kick into the Bon Accord penalty box for Smith to rise and glance a header into the net.

In stoppage time Diack put the issue beyond doubt by crashing an unstoppable volley into the net via the underside of the crossbar from the edge of the penalty box.

* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have your say on the site...