Allan Glen’s and Lenzie both lose out in Ayrshire

Allan Glen's (in action against Annan) lost by a single point in their match at Irvine
Allan Glen's (in action against Annan) lost by a single point in their match at Irvine

Allan Glen’s had victory snatched from them with the last kick of the match as they went down 24-22 at Irvine on Saturday in an exciting BT West Division 1 encounter.

Glen’s started well with a penalty by Glen Watt after just two minutes followed shortly by a try by David Lowe who charged 30 metres along the wing, warding off several attempts to stop him. Watt converted.

However Irvine came back with a vengeance and after persistent pressure on the visitors’ line were rewarded with a try by Hobson, converted by Tracy, making the half-time score 10-7 to Glen’s.

After the restart Glen’s young pack struggled in the scrum against the more mature and heavier home pack but did manage to get the ball back to veteran scrum half Price.

Watt’s excellent tactical kicking helped Glen’s pressurise the opposition but it was Irvine who scored again with a touch down by McVey. Tracy converted giving Irvine the lead for the first time at 14-10.

McKeown immediately replied for Glen’s by running from the halfway line and round the home defence to give Glen’s the lead once again.

Territorial advantage was equally shared until Irvine forced a try from a drive over scrum which Tracy again converted to make the score 21-15 to the home side.

But just two minutes later McKeown again broke through the home defence to score and again Watt converted to put Glen’s back in front, 22-21.

It looked as if Glen’s were going to hold out for the win but just on time Irvine were awarded a penalty 40 metres from the Glen’s posts.

The cool headed Tracy calmly stroked the ball over and the referee immediately blew the whistle leaving Glen’s with only a bonus point.

Meanwhile Lenzie’s hopes of building on their Division 2 win at Cumbernauld were dashed as they lost 27-12 to a competent and competitive Cumnock side.

The first period was very tight with the home side taking an early 10-0 lead and Lenzie coming back through a well taken try by Condie, converted by Picken.

Lenzie went in front when Brett and Carmichael broke through the home defence to release Marshall to score.

But Cumnock responded well and the first period ended 15-12 in favour of the home side.

The second half continued to be very competitive but Cumnock scored twice to take the honours and the points.

Best for Lenzie was Letford.

Lenzie have a rest this week with no game scheduled.