Lenzie back to league business – with a bang!

Lenzie v strathaven at Viewfield 26.3.11 Picture by Jamie Forbes
Lenzie v strathaven at Viewfield 26.3.11 Picture by Jamie Forbes

HOME was where the heart was – and the points – for Lenzie Rugby Football Club on Saturday.

Lenzie................ 53

Strathaven............ 12

LENZIE returned to league business and entertained Strathaven at Viewfield on Saturday.

The home side started brightly with forwards and backs combining well to stretch the Strathaven defence, and were rewarded when Queenan opened the scoring – bursting through for a try after good lead-up work from Paterson. Scouller converted the try and followed up with a successful penalty to give Lenzie a 10-point lead after as many minutes played.

The visitors responded well and managed to deny Lenzie possession – finding good field position to threaten the Lenzie line. The home defence stood firm and a break-out by Jones was supported by Scouller for the second Lenzie try, which was followed five minutes later with Scouller again on hand to finish off following a break by Fraser.

Lenzie finished the half strongly and were rewarded when Queenan scored his second try and Lenzie’s fourth after good lead-up involving McWilliams and Derrick.

With two successful conversions Lenzie were ahead 29-0 at half time.

Into the second half and Lenzie continued to play good rugby. After pressure from McManus and Letford, Cameron capitalised on the loose ball and showed his football skills in controlling the ball to register the first score of the second half.

The Lenzie line-out was secure and, following a clean take from McNeish, the backs received quick ball and created space for Jones to carve out another Lenzie try.

All credit to Strathaven, they never gave up with their strong pack providing some good possession and elusive backs stretching the Lenzie defence. Their reward was two second half tries – one being converted.

It was Lenzie who finished the stronger and scored two further tries – the first from McDermott to cap off a flowing move. The final try was scored by Saunders who muscled his way over after good driving play from the forwards.

Lenzie played well for long periods in the game and hope to take this form forward on Saturday playing Duns (away) in the Scottish Regional Bowl semi final.

The reward for the victors will be a trip to Murrayfield to play the final on April 16. All those wishing to travel on one of the buses to give support to Lenzie on Saturday should contact Lenzie RFC.