Lenzie hit back to see off challenge from Uddingston

Action from Saturday's match at Viewfield between Lenzie and Uddingston.
Action from Saturday's match at Viewfield between Lenzie and Uddingston.

An important 16-7 home win against a good Uddingston side consolidated Lenzie’s top three position in BT West Division 2.

Both sides struggled to play attractive rugby as the strong cross wind dominated the match; however both Lenzie and Uddingston competed well throughout the game.

Uddingston opened the scoring after sustained pressure allowed their forwards to score an excellent try.

The visitors secured good scrimmage ball 10 metres from the Lenzie try line and then drove forward looking for the points.

Good defence by the home side snuffed out the advance, but the Villagers scrum-half Callum Maxwell was alert, diving through the narrowest of gaps to score the opening points.

Gavin Kidd defied the wind to slot over the conversion, giving the visitors a 7-0 advantage.

Uddingston had the best of the first half, but Lenzie managed a well worked try when Scouller found Haddow and the full-back just made it into the corner to score an unconverted try.

Unfortunately Haddow sustained a bad leg injury and his game was over. He is wished a speedy recovery.

After the break Lenzie took the initiative and Cruickshanks used the wind to good effect to keep Lenzie deep into Uddingston territory.

This pressure was rewarded when Cruickshanks kicked two well struck penalties to put the home side in front 11-7.

Uddingston managed to create some pressure late in the game; however McKenzie put in a try stopping tackle that enabled Nisbet to clear Lenzie’s line.

The home side completed the scoring when McAllister broke through the defence to time his pass perfectly for Ross Moir to score in the corner for a satisfying 16-7 win.

Best for Lenzie were Letford, Fraser, Moir, McWilliams and Cruickshanks with McKenzie the man of the match.

Next week Lenzie are away to league leaders Paisley with an early kick-off.

Meanwhile Allan Glen’s maintained their challenge for the BT West Division 1 title with a hard fought 16-12 win away to Greenock Wanderers.

They got off to the perfect start when they won a penalty straight from the kick-off which Thomson slotted over.

Five minutes later another Thomson penalty put them 6-0 ahead and in the 12th minute the ball was moved through the hands for Henderson to score a try.

Thomson converted and the visitors were 13 points to the good.

It stayed that way until the hour mark when Greenock powered over for a converted try to cut the deficit.

Another Thomson penalty stretched the lead to 16-7 before a late unconverted Greenock try wasn’t enough to prevent Glen’s racking which up their tenth win in a row.

The win leaves the Bishopbriggs side still with a 100 per cent record and sitting second in the table, two points behind Carrick but with a game in hand.

This Saturday Glen’s are away to Kilmarnock, who are fifth in the table with eight wins and five defeats from their 13 games so far.