Lenzie overcome elements to end the year with a win

Lenzie: 22

Glasgow Accies: 7

Lenzie vs Glasgow Accies at Viewfield

Lenzie vs Glasgow Accies at Viewfield

RBS West Division 1

This match was the first between the clubs for 10 years and was played in genuinely horrendous overhead conditions.

Luckily the pitch stood up better than expected.

Both teams tried to play rugby but the pre-match comment of Lenzie Coach, George Breckenridge, that the game would be won by the team who adapted best and wanted it most was to prove accurate.

Despite playing against the elements Lenzie had territorial advantage in the first 10 minutes when their forwards took the game to the visitors. Accies showed how dangerous they could be when a turn-over was won, Wright made ground and passed to Coffey for a try between the posts converted by Seaton.

The visitors lost their captain, Jackson, to injury and Lenzie maintained their simple game plan retaining the ball well.

The front row of Letford, Williams and Sutherland gained a slight ascendancy and young McCrae came of age with sound decision making at the base of the scrum. The forwards helped him by providing him with good ball which was, in the main, well protected. These tactics helped keep Lenzie in the Accies half for long periods but the visitors looked dangerous on the counter and the Lenzie back three of Lowrie, McBride and Nisbet showed a big improvement in calmly fielding clearances and returning the ball to the protection of the pack.

Accies got close to the home line on two occasions but breakouts by Saunders, McManus and Morrison and tackles by Scouller and McWilliams snuffed out the threats. A minute before half-time Accies kicked a penalty to touch on the home five metre line but Lenzie pressure averted the danger.

The home support were keen to see if their team could manage the conditions to their advantage in the second half and they proved up to the task. After eight minutes Lenzie got into the red–zone and scored a forwards try credited to Brett. Scouller, who was having one of his best games in a Lenzie jersey, kicked the conversion for 7-7.

The visitors continued to attack gamely and had a penalty attempt after 15 minutes but the ball was virtually blown backwards by the gale. Lenzie attacked again and took the lead with a Scouller penalty on 23 minutes. Two minutes later he converted after a beefy run by Saunders for a try - 17-7.

Accies showed spirit to attack again and were only repelled after good work by Scouller and McNeish. Apart from some long kicks into space Lenzie kept the ball tight and sealed the game with a try again via the forwards in 35 minutes. This time Queenan was the scorer and he and his pack kept the ball safe and comfortably played out the last five minutes for a 22-7 victory.

The smiles on the muddy faces of the Lenzie players was great to see as they registered a win after a long wait. They won with humility and thanks must go to the gallant opponents and referee Livingstone for making the game as entertaining as they could on a dire December day. It takes Lenzie into the Christmas break still at the bottom of the table but with renewed hope for 2014. Best wishes to all at Lenzie RFC for the Festive Season.