Lenzie rain in the tries...

Lenzie RFC v Cambuslang RFC at Viewfield 24.9.11 Picture by Jamie Forbes
Lenzie RFC v Cambuslang RFC at Viewfield 24.9.11 Picture by Jamie Forbes

RAIN couldn’t dampen the spirits of Lenzie RFC at the weekend.

Wigtownshire............... 3

Lenzie..................... 36

Eager to put a disappointing start to the league campaign behind them Lenzie started the brighter of the two teams in drizzly conditions.

After some enterprising play from both the pack and the back line, outside centre McWilliams pounced on an error by the Wigtownshire full back to run in the first try of the game after 10 minutes, converted by Morrison.

As the conditions worsened the Lenzie forwards began to take a firm hold of the game – being particularly resolute in defence, typified by some ferocious tackling by Queenan, Matier and Johnstone.

It was from this solid platform that Lenzie scored their second try.

A flowing move resulted in Wilson making a dash for the line only to be held up agonisingly short before having the awareness to pass inside to the on-rushing McBride who finished off the good Lenzie work.

A further penalty goal by Morrison in reply to a solitary penalty from the home team made the half-time score 15 – 3 to the visitors.

Lenzie started the second half in sprightly fashion, spurred on by some excellent territorial kicking by the probing McAulay and some damaging forward runs from McManus and Telford.

The third try was scored by the centre Wilson who was not to be denied again and, after straightening the line superbly, he burst through the home defence and slid over the line for the score, converted by Morrison.

A bad head knock to wing Nisbet resulted in Lenzie reshuffling their back line, but none of the momentum gained was to be lost as Lenzie continually put the home side under pressure.

It was from this sustained pressure that Lenzie grabbed their fourth and the bonus point try.

Replacement hooker Williams galloped onto a through kick from Scouller to touch down for his first try of the season.

A tricky conversion from Morrison stretched the Lenzie lead further.

The game then turned into a kicking battle, with both sides seeking the advantage in worsening weather and – after repelling repeated Wigtownshire attacks with some superb defence in their own 22 – Lenzie scored the final try of the game.

A break down the left-hand side from Byers was well supported and, after some neat inter-passing, McBride crossed for his second try of the game to put the icing on the cake for a spirited Lenzie side.

The visitors will hope that this win at an always tricky venue will provide them with confidence to take into the rest of the season.

Excellent performances all round were typified by a quality showing from the half back pairing of McAulay and Morrison.

Next week Lenzie continue with league duty and have a home game against Cumbernauld – 3pm kick-off.