Lenzie RFC bank the points in first match for a month

editorial image

LENZIE RFC returned to competitive action for the first time in over a month . . . and it was a winning return.

Clydebank............. 5

Lenzie................ 20

RBS West Division 2

With the recent poor weather and Christmas break this was Lenzie’s first game since early December and this perhaps explained some of the rustiness.

However, there was no lack of commitment from both teams who served up a hard but fair game for the many spectators who enjoyed one of the best days Lenzie have had for some time.

Lenzie took the field resplendent in their new kit and early exchanges were even.

The first highlight was a thrilling break by Lenzie’s Jones which resulted in a penalty for the visitors. Morrison put Lenzie 3-0 up, but sadly the kicker suffered a collar bone injury five minutes later and had to be replaced.

With Clydebank driving via their no.8 from scrums, Byres put in a number of good tackles and Matier and Williams started to steal the home side’s ball.

This allowed Lenzie to exert pressure, but a combination of good home defence and handling/decision-making errors from Lenzie maintained the stalemate.

With five minutes of the half to go, a quick throw-in from McDonnell was fed via McBride to Nisbet who beat several tacklers and scored a thrilling try from 50m out.

The conversion was missed and Clydebank came right back into the game when good passing in the centre beat the Lenzie defenders and young winger Parr went over for a try.

The half-time score was 8-5 to Lenzie.

The second half was marked by 25 minutes when defences were on top and Lenzie’s best chance fell to McBride who was tackled just short. Leacock and Johnstone had worked hard and were replaced by Moore and Cameron.

Lenzie then won a rare penalty which was kicked for touch, but wasted and Clydebank cleared.

Soon after Jones burst through in the centre and scored between the posts, giving McDonnell an easy conversion to put some daylight between the teams.

With five minutes to go Lenzie played Clydebank at their own game with a number of forward drives before Letford made it over the line by a whisker.

This completed the scoring at 20-5 for the visitors.

Skipper McNeish led the team well and he and his fellow backrow McManus showed plenty of ginger, never taking a backward step.

* On Saturday, Lenzie entertain Wigtownshire with a 2pm kick-off.