Lenzie show a clean pair of heels amid mud and guts!

editorial image

OLD rivals Wigtownshire were welcomed to a muddy Viewfield on Saturday . . . and promptly taken to the cleaners by Lenzie RFC.

Lenzie.................. 27

Wigtownshire............ 0

Lenzie were looking to build on their promising performance at Clydebank last week and welcomed Wigtownshire – their old rivals from the south west.

In what can best be described as a gale interspersed with heavy horizontal rain showers, both teams must be congratulated in managing to survive hypothermia and also serving up an entertaining game of rugby!

Lenzie faced the elements in the first period and put in a tremendous performance.

Queenan, Williams and Letford, with the rest of the pack, put in a power of work both in the set-piece and in their ball-carrying duties. The only score in the first half was limited to a well-worked Lenzie try.

Following good work from McLean and Leacock, Byers and Wilson then created space for Nisbett who outpaced the cover to score in the corner.

It was a well-worked team try and worthy of the first Lenzie points to be registered on the new scoreboard.

In the final 10 minutes of the half, Wigtownshire managed to secure possession and field position, and only determined defence kept out the visitors efforts. At half-time Lenzie were 5-0 ahead.

The visitors started the second half as they had finished the first and, with their big pack in control, threatened the Lenzie line.

The Viewfield men had to work very hard to continue to keep Wigtownshire at bay.

The turning point came with 15 minutes played. Johnstone won a turnover and when Cowan linked with Nisbett on halfway, there didn’t appear to be much danger, but the Lenzie flyer took off – beating defenders on the outside and then cutting back in to register a fine solo effort.

Lenzie were buoyed with the 10-point cushion and, with Wigtownshire starting to flag, Jones capitalised on great work by McManus and McNeish to race in for Lenzie’s third try, which was converted.

Lenzie secured the bonus point try with less than 10 minutes of the game remaining. McBride took a difficult pass and linked with his forwards, the move continued to the visitors’ try line and McWilliams forced his way over for the score.

Lenzie’s final try was scored by the hard-working Cameron who capitalised on a charge down by Paterson.

A fine team effort resulted in a good win for Lenzie. This Saturday the Viewfield men travel to Cumbernauld to play the semi-final of the Regional Bowl – kick-off at 1.30pm.