Mixed fortunes for Lenzie and Allan Glen’s

Lenzie and Allan Glen's had mixed results on Saturday.
Lenzie and Allan Glen's had mixed results on Saturday.

Lenzie moved clear of the BT West Division 1 relegation battle with a 7-3 win in brutally difficult conditions at Kilmarnock on Saturday.

Lenzie played with the wind in the first half, but Kilmarnock controlled this period and played very well to keep Lenzie at bay and convert a penalty to lead 3-0 at half-time.

The visiting supporters weren’t optimistic about their team’s chances in the second half as they were playing into a gale with an incessant downpour into their faces.

But as the second period progressed Lenzie’s defensive resolve strengthened and their forwards had taken control of the scrum and breakdown.

Arnott was now offering a threat and linked well with Scouller and Condie to gain territory for Lenzie and the visitors were very unfortunate not to score when Nisbet was hauled down inches short of the try line.

Lenzie were now camped in Kilmarnock’s 22 and got their reward when excellent driving play by McKenzie, Telford, Brett and McManus allowed Williams to release the excellent Sutherland to power over under the posts for a converted score, to the delight of Lenzie’s supporters and players.

For the final 10 minutes Lenzie kept Kilmarnock out of their 22 and controlled the game for the win.

Man of the match was the dynamic Michael Slade who was outstanding throughout the game.

Meanwhile Allan Glen’s weren’t quite so fortunated as they lost 19-10 to Oban inequally atrocious conditions.

In atrocious conditions at Connell Bridge, Oban’s own pitches being flooded, the home side’s huge pack dominated the proceedings.

But it was Glen’s who scored first with a driving maul taking Murrell over the line to score with Thomson duly converting.

The Oban pack then took charge and forced a penalty try due to the visitors pulling down the maul. Wright converted.

Not long afterwards the Argyle men used a another driving maul allowing McMillan to touch down. Again Wright converted making the half-time score 14-7.

The second half followed much the same format and although Glen’s made two or three opportunities to score handling mistakes, no doubt the weather conditions contributing, let them down.

Oban added another unconverted try by winger Macfarlane and Thomson added a penalty for Glen’s to conclude the scoring.