Rugby round-up: Home comfort for Allan Glen’s but defeat for Lenzie

Allan Glen's on the attack against Oban Lorne
Allan Glen's on the attack against Oban Lorne

Allan Glen’s had battle hard to defeat Oban Lorne 30-15 and record their first BT West Division 1 league win of the season at The Bearyards on Saturday.

The Bishopbriggs side opened the scoring with a penalty by Moffat who added another two points a few minutes later after a score by McKay who received a well timed pass Gallacher.

Another Moffat penalty for Glen’s and one for Oban by Carmichael completed the first half scoring.

Immediately after the break Oban’s McKay ran down the wing to score in the corner.

Not to be outdone Glen’s scored through a driving maul, credited to Murrell, Moffat again converting.

A 20-minute period of end-to-end deadlock followed which was broken when Glen’s full-back McConnell ran from the halfway line and touched down eluding all attempt to stop him. This was followed shortly by another try for Glens by Lennon.

Just on time Oban’s Roberts barged his way over and a conversion by Carmichael concluded the scoring.

Meanwhile Lenzie went down 27-15 to Millbrae in their second BT West Division 2 match of the new season on Saturday.

The Viewfield side had travelled to Ayr looking to bounce back from their opening day defeat at Stewartry.

But in a keenly fought contest it was newly promoted Millbrae who came out on top with some excellent play through there experienced centres.

Lenzie were caught cold and leaked 10 soft points before scoring a great team try through young Buick scorching in on the right wing.

Nesbit then added another converted try when he was put clear by some quick thinking by McCrae.

At this stage Lenzie were controlling the scrum and holding their own in the line outs despite the efforts of Lightbody and were unfortunate to end the first period trailing 13-12.

But Millbrae refreshed their front row and controlled the second period for prolonged periods despite the good play from Slade, R Moir and Arnott and ran in two tries through the middle to put them 27-12 clear.

The final 15 minutes belonged to Lenzie with Carmichael and Condie both unfortunate not to score before Scouller added three points to complete the scoring.

Man of the match was Moir.

Lenzie travel away again on Saturday to Paisley with a 3pm ko where they hope to get their first league win.