Second half is a real bonus for the warriors at Lenzie RFC

Lenzie v Strathendrick'13/10/11'Photo Emma Mitchell
Lenzie v Strathendrick'13/10/11'Photo Emma Mitchell

LENZIE’S good start to the season continued with a bonus point victory over Strathendrick.

Lenzie ........................... 32

Strathendrick .................... 3

Back to league business and After torrential rain at the end of the week the going was heavy and a westerly breeze made tricky conditions for handling.

The early exchanges were largely in midfield with neither team gaining the upper hand. After 15 minutes play the scores were tied at three points each with both sides kicking a penalty. Lenzie forwards started to gain ascendancy in the set scrum and from a scrum deep in their own half a Jones break was supported by McDonnel and McBride. Only desperate cover from Strathendrick prevented a try.

Lenzie retained possession and following good work from the forwards, Queenan found the way to the line and scored the opening try. The conversion was unsuccessful.

Lenzie continued to press for the remainder of the half but a combination of good defence from the visitors and errors from the home side resulted in no further scoring leaving Lenzie with a narrow 8–3 lead.

Lenzie changed their strips at half time and it was like a new team took to the field in the second half. The errors were eradicated and Lenzie started pressurising the visitors all over the pitch.

With barely five minutes played, a long Morrison kick was followed up by Nisbett and his pressure resulted in a turn over which Derrick took full advantage to score Lenzie’s second try. The Lenzie place kickers were having an off day and the conversion was missed.

The home side encouraged with the early second half try were using the wind to their advantage. Another Morrison kick had Strathendrick backtracking and great pressure from Nisbett and Byres resulted in the ball being claimed by Lenzie and Corsky barged over for another unconverted try.

Lenzie’s fourth, and bonus point, try was the best of the day. Good driving play from the forwards provided the platform for Paterson to release Jones who linked with McDonnel and McBride raced clear to touch down. Morrison’s conversion was successful.

The home side’s final try came with a few minutes left. More pressure resulted in a penalty five metres from the Strathendrick line. The penalty was quickly taken and this enabled Brett to force his way over. McKinlay took over the kicking duties and successfully landed the conversion.

Strathendrick never gave up and their back row in particular worked hard all afternoon. Another good win for Lenzie, after a slow start, and this week they travel to Annan for a tabletopping clash to play the league leaders.

* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have you say on the site...