What a start for Lenzie RFC as rugby season begins again

1.9.12 Photograph Jamie Forbes. LENZIE, Viewfield - Lenzie Rugby Club vs McLaren. (A
1.9.12 Photograph Jamie Forbes. LENZIE, Viewfield - Lenzie Rugby Club vs McLaren. (A

LED by new captain Fraser Morrison, Lenzie kicked off their new league campaign against McLaren RFC at Viewfield.

Lenzie.................. 17

Mclaren RFC............. 12

RBS West Division 2

This was the first ever competitive match against the team from Callander and Lenzie started with the strong west wind behind them.

At first they failed to make use of it and although playing good rugby, too much of it was in their own half. McLaren profited after eight minutes when they kicked a penalty to touch, won the line-out and mauled over for a try by More to give them a five-point lead. Lenzie fought back, but were kept out by good defence for 20 minutes.

After a Lenzie kick was charged down, good tidying by young flanker McAslan allowed Paton to kick downfield. Good following-up by Nisbet and Scouller saw the ball fed to Brown, who went over for the equalising try.

Lenzie stepped up the pressure. On 30 minutes Morrison missed a penalty and two more were tapped and run. The second of these led to an attacking scrum for Lenzie from which Scouller picked up and dotted down for a try. The missed conversion gave Lenzie a 10-5 lead.

As half-time neared another pick-up was fed to Paterson and the scrum-half wriggled over. The successful conversion by Morrison gave Lenzie a 17-5 lead.

After the restart McLaren showed why they had won their league last season as they used the wind well and took the game to Lenzie. The Lenzie forwards worked very hard in defence and took scrums against the head and wheeled several to keep the visitors out. After 10 minutes a poor Lenzie clearance led to to a penalty which the visitors tapped and centre Graham burst through several tackles to score at the posts. Millgan converted for 17-12.

McLaren continued to attack – testing the Lenzie defence, which was not found wanting, although they benefited from some white line fever from the visitors.

In a nerve-wracking and thrilling last 20 minutes Lenzie’s pack upped their game and showed composure. It was 10 minutes before the end before they reached the visitors 22, but they camped there for a good spell and had numerous close range drives. The visitors broke out in the last two minutes but Lenzie held on for the win. A winning start for coach Breckenbridge was based on a never-say-die attitude from the pack – well marshalled by Paterson. The win was preceded by victories for the under-18 and second XVs to make it a winning start for Lenzie RFC.

Next week the 1st XV travel to Carrick and the 2nd XV are away at Bishopton.

* Have you got a comment? E-mail kirkyherald@jnscotland.co.uk

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have you say on the site. Please note comments may be reprinted in the newspaper.