Youngsters give rugby a try at Lenzie, while 1st XV thrash Cumbernauld

editorial image

LENZIE Rugby Club held their first Mini Summer Camp recently. The children all had a great time and practised their handling skills and rugby techniques.

Training has now started on Sundays from 11am at Viewfield, Lenzie. For more information, e-mail Philip on

Meanwhile, the 1st XV beat Cumbernauld 15-0 in a great away win in terrible conditions.

Lenzie travelled to play near neighbours Cumbernauld in the RBS Shield on Saturday.

The game kicked off in sunny conditions, but within 10 minutes the heavens opened and the rain did not relent until well after the full-time whistle.

Like the weather Lenzie started brightly and were rewarded for their early efforts with a well-taken try. Good work from the forwards, with Letford, Derrick, and McManus all prominent, created space for the backs and Nisbett run in to touch down.

Lenzie were winning their fair share of possession and tried to move the ball through the hands, but as conditions deteriorated the mistakes increased and Lenzie could not add to their early score.

Cumbernauld seemed to adapt better to the conditions, keeping the ball tight and kicking for position, but the Lenzie defence was well organised and limited the home side’s opportunities to a couple of long-range penalties – both of which were unsuccessful, and Lenzie reached half-time leading by the only try of the game.

Lenzie started the second half brightly and found good position near the Cumbernauld try-line. A break by Byres was supported by Brown, but he slipped in the treacherous conditions and the home side cleared their lines.

McAslan and McWilliams both made breaks, but these also petered out through handling errors. Midway through the half Cameron left the field with a cut to the head. The livewire flanker was playing his last game for Lenzie – he leaves to take up a new job in England and will be missed both on and off the pitch. All at Lenzie wish him well.

With 10 minutes remaining Morrison kicked deep behind the Cumbernauld defence and great follow-up play forced a line-out deep in the home side’s territory. A great take and drive by the Lenzie pack set up Queenan to barge over from close range and extend Lenzie’s lead to 10 points.

Lenzie had realised that running the ball in the conditions was not going to pay dividends. Another good kick from Morrison was followed up by McDermott and Nisbett, and again Lenzie were able to make ground in the Cumbernauld danger area. Lenzie almost drove over again from the resultant line-out, but Matier was held up over the line. Lenzie continued the pressure from the five-metre scrum and, after a number of drives by the forwards, a clever reverse pass from Paterson found Scouller, who ran in for the final score of the day.

Both teams are to be congratulated for trying to play rugby in terrible conditions and Lenzie will be pleased to have progressed to the next round.

Lenzie are at home this Saturday to newly-promoted McLaren, kick-off at 3pm.

* Have you got a comment? E-mail

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have you say on the site. Please note comments may be reprinted in the newspaper.