Seconds out – Rabs take it to the wire to grab first league victory

Rob Roy V Ashfield'25/8/12'Photo Emma Mitchell
Rob Roy V Ashfield'25/8/12'Photo Emma Mitchell

ROB Roy left it until the last 12 minutes to pull on their shooting boots on Saturday.

The Kirkintilloch team looked like facing a second straight defeat as they trailed Ashfield 1-0 with just over 12 minutes left on the clock.

But a never-say-die Rabs performance produced two goals from Meechan and Diack in the closing minutes – earning the maximum three points.

Manager Lindsay told the Herald: “It was one of those games which was very even in the first half when the passes were pinging around the pitch like a game of pinball.

“Ashfield took the lead in the second half from a piece of set play that we just didn’t defend well enough. That was disappointing.

“In the last half hour we were excellent, stretching the game out and deserved the equaliser.”

Rob Roy.................. 2

Ashfield................. 1

West of Scotland Premier Division

Ashfield should have taken the lead in the opening minute, but Ferguson fired his hurried shot wide of the post. Minutes later Rabs’ Connolly headed a Miller cross just wide. The early stages were evenly contested and with defences in control, chances up front were at a premium with both keepers rarely tested.

Midway through the first half Miller sent over an inviting cross, but failed to find any takers in the penalty box. Rabs were then awarded a free-kick on the edge of the visitors’ penalty box, but McAleenan sent his effort high over the bar.

On the half-time whistle Coakley just failed to make contact with a Diack cross as referee Brown brought an uneventful first half to an end.

First chance of the second period fell to Ashfield with Martin sending a curling free-kick inches over the bar before home keeper Robertson pushed a McShane drive past the post.

The visitors looked the more likely to score and it was no surprise when they took the lead in the 52nd minute. Brand headed a corner back into the goalmouth for Darroch to fire past Robertson. Minutes later the keeper was in action again to block a McCann shot.

With Rabs making a couple of tactical changes they upped their game. Connolly’s shot was tipped over the bar by Hall and Meechan had a drive blocked by the keeper with his follow-up headed off the line.

With 12 minutes remaining Rabs grabbed a deserved equaliser. After a spell of attacking play, Diack passed to Meechan to send a low drive into the corner of the net. Diack who had been causing problems to the Ashfield defence then saw a crisp drive from the edge of the box saved at full stretch by keeper Hall.

Rabs, who were looking menacing in the visitors’ penalty box, completed a dramatic comeback with five minutes remaining when Hall’s attempted clearance after a Brand pass-back was charged down by Diack – giving the striker the easy task of slotting the loose ball into the vacant net.

In an attempt to salvage something from the game Ashfield poured forward. Diack did well to block a goal-bound shot and Robertson punching clear under pressure. Adam could have added a third for Rabs in stoppage time, but Hall finger-tipped his effort out for a corner.

* Have you got a comment? E-mail

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have you say on the site. Please note comments may be reprinted in the newspaper.