Weathering the storm – Rob Roy strike four times to advance in cup

Kilsyth Rangers v Kirkintilloch Rob Roy'Kilsyth staretd a come back with this header, 1-2'22nd December 2012'Pic: Roberto Cavieres
Kilsyth Rangers v Kirkintilloch Rob Roy'Kilsyth staretd a come back with this header, 1-2'22nd December 2012'Pic: Roberto Cavieres

DETERMINED Rob Roy beat the rain and the opposition as they marched into the third round of the West of Scotland Cup on Saturday.

The 4-2 win over Kilsyth Rangers only went ahead after a second pitch inspection.

The Kirkintilloch side broke the deadlock in the 21st minute when Diack collected a pass just inside the penalty area before despatching a well-placed shot low past Dukes.

Rabs dominated the first half, but couldn’t turn superior possession into further goals.

Dukes did well to parry away a McAleenan goal-bound shot, then from a McVey cross Diack again tested the big Rangers keeper before K Connolly had a decent effort blocked.

Then, just before the interval, Meechan fired the ball into the side netting from an acute angle.

Kilsyth impressed after the break with Reid’s shot blocked then scrambled away by the Rob Roy defence before Dempsey squandered a great opportunity to pull a goal back for the Duncansfield side, sending his hurried effort well wide.

The home side won a spate of corner kicks all dealt with successfully by the Rabs defence.

The visitors increased their lead in the 64th minute when McAleenan raced down the left wing before cutting inside then slotting the ball past Dukes.

A minute later Rangers pulled a goal back when Masare bulleted a header from a free-kick past Robertson.

Rabs then upped their game and Easton had the ball in the Kilsyth net but was ruled offside.

McAleenan then curled his shot inches wide before keeper Dukes made another fine stop from Meechan.

Kilsyth were gifted their equaliser in the 81st minute after a poor Robertson clearance was seized upon by McColligan, who took a few steps before sending a fierce shot high into the net.

However, any hopes of the home side taking the tie to a penalty shoot-out were dashed two minutes later when Rabs skipper Smith headed a Meechan cross past Dukes at the far post.

Kilsyth were reduced to 10 men after Reid fouled McAleenan and, as the defender had previously been booked, he was shown red.

As the contest moved into stoppage time, Easton ensured Rabs’ passage into the third round when he clinically drilled a low shot into the corner of the net for his side’s fourth goal.

Rob Roy are on league business this Saturday against Pollok at Adamslie Park. Kick-off 1.45pm.

* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have you say on the site...