Young Watch in action at last

CAMPSIE Black Watch under-19s played Dean Thistle from Kilmarnock at Toryglen indoor complex on Saturday and secured all three points with a very strong performance.

Campsie Black Watch............... 5

Dean Thistle...................... 2

Under-19s League

The young Watch started the game better, adapting to surroundings which were different than both teams were used to.

Millar opened the scoring for Campsie on the 14th minute when good strong defending by McArthur found Finlayson. He sent a cross-field pass for Millar, who with one touch brought the ball onto his right foot from 20 yards out, composed himself and let rip a powerful shot into the net.

With 30 minutes played the young Watch increased their lead with another superb goal when captain Rory Finlayson came up with the goods.

With Campsie defending well they broke down yet another Thistle attack and McLoone raced down the right, skipping past two Deans players, neatly playing in O'Conner who was at the edge of the Thistle's box.

He sent a perfect pass for the oncoming Finlayson, who side-footed an unstoppable strike low into the left-hand corner to give the keeper no chance.

Five minutes later Thistle grabbed a goal back when a corner from the right was whipped into the box.

The ball wasn't cleared by the Campsie defenders and it bounced into a ruck of

players. McLoone tried to clear only to see the ball hit his own man and cross the line for an own goal.

Young Watch didn't give Deans any time to dwell on their goal when they went straight on the attack.

Prentice found Aitken in the box to bring a great save from keeper Watt, who turned the ball round his post for a corner.

Millar took the corner and sent the ball to the back post for Cousland, unmarked, to tap the ball home into the net.

After the break the visitors began to give Campsie problems.

It was end-to-end stuff, however, it was the Blackies that found the net. Thistle had chances, but couldn't convert.

McDowall sent Prentice on a run down the left and he picked out Aitken, who smuggled the ball between a defender and the Thistle keeper – then calmly rolled the ball into the empty net to make it 4-1.

On the hour mark the game was still raging on with both teams giving everything into their play.

Dean Thistle deservedly grabbed a goal back when a cross from the right from Tivendale caught the Campsie defence ball watching and striker McIntosh – who was Deans' best player – took the ball out of the air and skilfully smacked a right-foot shot past Darroch.

With 10 minutes left Aitken found the net for his double.

Reid, who worked hard to win the ball, sent Millar through the middle. His pass was blocked, but the quick-thinking Aitken mugged the defender just outside the box and raced past the helpless keeper to sidefoot the ball home.

This was the only league game on at the weekend and the committee are delighted to get a good performance and a great win from the team who haven't played since November, 21.

Birdston Kennels man-of-the-match was Nicky Prentice.

Team: Darroch, McLoone, Cousland, McArthur, McDowall, Auld, Millar, O'Conner, Prentice, Aitken, Reid, Haddow, O'Halloran, Mitchell.

Tote numbers for Saturday were 49 and 40. There were no winners – next week's prize is 450.